Open Practice is designed for kart owners to test their equipment and develop driving skill at CalSpeed. When necessary, controlled run group sessions will be implemented to ensure driver safety
Open Practice is run in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth in the CalSpeed Karting Center rulebook. Rulebooks are available for viewing or purchase at CalSpeed. As a guide, the following general requirements are enforced:
- All persons wishing to enter a restricted area (i.e. kart track, grid, paddock, grandstand) MUST sign the official Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement; MUST pay the applicable fees; and MUST be issued and display proper credentials before being allowed access.
- CalSpeed Karting reserves the right to limit or deny access to anyone at all times.
- No pets allowed on premises at any time (this includes inside a vehicle).
- No driving or coasting of karts in the pit or paddock area at any time.
- The use of non-street legal motorized vehicles is prohibited.
- Disposal of fuel cans, tires, or hazardous materials is not permitted anywhere on premises. These items MUST be taken off-site and disposed of properly.
- Visitors to CalSpeed Karting Center are guests of Auto Club Speedway and MUST abide by all rules of the facility, including, but not limited to: speed limits, parking areas, hours of operation, restricted areas, and security instructions. Violations of these rules are subject to penalties, fines, and/or ejection from the facility.
All drivers must adhere to the following clothing requirements when on track:
- Helmets: Full coverage with face shield designed for competitive motorsports use complying with Snell 2000, SFI ratings 24.1 (youth), 31.1, 31.1a, 41.1, 4.1a or newer standards.
- Apparel: Full coverage, heavyweight clothing is required at a minimum. Full driving suit or jacket and pants made of abrasion-resistant nylon, leather or vinyl material is recommended.
- Gloves: Must cover the entire hand without holes.
- Neck Brace: Unaltered collar type neck brace or Leatt-Brace required.
- Footwear: Closed-toed shoes secured by laces, buckles, or straps required.
- Chest Protection: Required for all drivers in Kid Kart, Junior 1, Rookie and Cadet classes. Device must meet SFI specification 20.1 certification.
All drivers must participate in their appropriate kart class as follows:
- Kid Kart: attained age of 5 to 8 years old
- Cadet/Junior 1/Rookie: age 8 to 12 years within calendar year
- Junior/Junior 2: age 13 to 15 years within calendar year
- Senior: age 16 years and up within calendar year